Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

April 5 - Holy Thursday


(submitted by Megan and H Kearns)

In a borrowed room he prepared a feast for his friends, he offered them himself. Around the table sat his closest friends, those whom he loved. And from this lot there was one who would betray, one who would deny and many who would flee from the events that would soon follow.

But here is my Jesus… he doesn’t run from betrayal or denial, running never enters his mind… he serves… He gets up from the table and prepares to wash the feet of the ones he loves. In those days this was a task for the lowest of servants, washing the feet of the guests on arrival. There wasn’t a servant present on this day, as Jesus got up he removed his outer garment, grabbed a cloth, some water, and served, his friends, the very ones who would quickly forget the depth of his love. The King of Kings humbly knelt at the feet of each one, they did not come to him, he went and washed them.

The humility of my Jesus the extremes of his love, astound me. He loves not because he has to; he loves because he is love. I am not sure we get this, really. He does not rationalize his love, he just gives it. He comes to wash us, do we receive him?

Just over a year ago I sat in the garden of Gethsemane. I was awestruck. I cannot explain the vastness and intensity of the Holy that surged through me. At first all I could do is look, my eyes drinking in every detail. All of my senses heightened to my surroundings. We were secluded inside the walls, allowed to just be in the garden. Overwhelming is the word that comes. I could not deny the presence of God, even as I type these words tears come, emotion wells up inside me as I remember. As I stood and looked, listened, and breathed it became very real in me that it was here that Jesus came to a place of yes. A place of yes for all I understood—but a place of yes for me became very intimate for me.

An ordinary garden, a beautiful place of surrender, I was overcome. Breathing was difficult as I started to walk across the garden. I am not sure how to make that feel real to you through words on a page. A knowing, a feeling, a touch, a sound, a smell, the wind, the sun, all of creation seemed to suddenly sing out, “He is here, it is here Jesus said yes for you, Megan.” My casual walk became almost a sprint. But as I moved I was over come with the presence of Holy. My heart started pounding the realness of the presence of God was thick, I was weak, the depths of my unworthiness overwhelming.

One of our companions stepped in front of me, wrapped me in a big hug and held me as I wept with Jesus. There were no words exchanged, words were not needed we shared a knowing place. The embrace we shared in Gethsemane, I believe, will remain with me forever. Jesus met me through the heart of another reaching out in a tangible way to show me his love for me.
Jesus has prepared a feast for you, for me, he knows our sin, he loves us anyway, he calls us unto himself. He offers us all of himself. He has removed his outer garment, prepared the cloth and the water, he kneels at your feet. He comes to wash will we let him.

This Holy Thursday… will you accept the invitation of Jesus?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have taken me right back there, too. May your always carry this most Holy Place in your heart at Easter and always.

Counter