Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Friday, March 9, 2007

March 10 - Growing Up

(submitted by Melissa Gossard)

11 When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 12 Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.[b] All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. I Corinthians 13:11-12

She was here just a minute ago...I know she was...there were lots of questions...lots of worries...there was control...or was there?

It was 1993. Mike and I were getting ready to move our family to Sidney from Lima. Our house wasn't quite finished yet so that meant for the first 2 months of Kindergarten our 5 year old would go to work with Mike, then to the unfinished house where the school bus would pick her up, then at noon when the bus dropped her off at the house I would drive down to Sidney to pick her up. We went through all the scenarios if by chance mommy wouldn't be there when she got off the bus. Traffic on I-75, bus arriving early, unexpected delays - you name it, I conjured it up. You know - all those what ifs! All those things unseen but imagined – as if I could control the world, childishly thinking God’s job was mine. I would make safe the world my child lived in…

It was last weekend. Mike and I in Ohio, our 19 year old traveling in icy conditions on a highway headed north to Rochester, NY. She called, “Mom, will you pray for us? – we need safe travel, going 20 MPH and we need to stay alert.” The old panic immediately drifted into my mind. But instead of conjuring, I prayed. I shared with Mike. In the meantime a friend called, we prayed. I called another friend, she prayed. My Jesus made safe the world my child lives in…

I like to think I have “grown up” during these years. Do you ever feel childish? Do you act in ways that proclaim self-centeredness and being in control? Be honest with yourself; look in the mirror, ask God to give you clarity. Ask Him to lead you in the ways of truth, maturity, self-denial and His guidance. I could no more control the what ifs and the unknowns when she was 5 then I could control that snowstorm she was in the other night. The places He has made clear in my life during these years have allowed me to be a “grown up”. Each place I have traveled on my journey only becomes clear because the ONE Who knows me completely loves me completely and promises perfect peace.

She was here just a minute ago…ahhh…she still is…held by Him…questions being answered…no worries…all is in control…He says so!

Journey on fellow travelers…be a Grown-Up!

No comments:

Counter