Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

March 2 - Toenail Clippings and Love

(submitted by Todd Miller)

Key Verse: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)

What is it that other people do that really wigs you out? What behavior on their part moves you to the proverbial "breaking point"? Come on. We all have it. What’s yours?

Is it the guy who takes 47 items through the express lane at Wal-Mart and then stops to choose seven candy bars and two tabloids on top of everything else? How about the out-of-control toddler at Olive Garden? The relative who still laments decisions they made 57 years ago? The spouse who trims their toenails and leaves them on the arm of the couch? The teenager who doesn't listen to a word you say? The parent who still tries to control you … on your 68th birthday? The guy sitting next to you on the airplane who apparently had nothing to eat except pinto beans for the last three days?

An ongoing part of the Christian journey for me is reminding myself that none of us is perfect. I want to reach the point where I do not see the imperfections in others without also seeing my own. Or, better yet, where I just see another of God’s children.

On thing that really drives me nuts is when someone changes "the plan" at the last second. Even more so when their change affects me but they don't let me know about it! But then I think of the times when I have done that to others. And I start to understand that, even though the other person's gift for planning may not be the greatest, the root to my negative reaction is my issue with feeling out of control. It’s my imperfection that's a problem – not theirs. The more I realize that, the less wigged out I become and the closer I can get to where God wants me to be.

Jesus commanded us to love one another -- his greatest commandment in fact. But how can I do that if all I see are the imperfections in others? What if my eyes are those of suspicion, contempt, and prejudice instead of love, compassion, and grace? What if all I see is the wall that I have built between them and me? I struggle with this every day. I have a long way to go in order to consistently live out unconditional love for all others.

It may seem relatively easy to live out our faith when we're surrounded by it in a faith community. But things change when we're on the "outside" and that person cuts us off in traffic. Or our well-pedicured but sloppy spouse leaves their toenail clippings on the couch (I am not talking from personal experience, mind you!) Or our regret-filled Aunt Eunice relates her story for the 43rd time ... that day. Those are the times that test our transformation in Christ!

Jesus reminded us that none of us is without sin. We all carry imperfections and we all make mistakes. Yet He loves us just the same ... exactly as He commanded us to fully love one another because of who we are in Him. I need to live true to that commandment and it can't be done with a cold or suspicious heart. It can only be done when I allow God's love and grace - both so freely given to me - to flow through me and on to others.

2 comments:

Dan said...

This is awesome Todd. The point in my life where I have a hard time loving usually comes when I am inconvenienced or I think someone has totally missed my heart. Which really is about me but how often do I project that upon others?

Great blog.

Julie R. said...

You've preached quite a great sermon, Todd! It blesses me to know you have lived this sermon out and your life has been an incredible witness to God's grace and love.

God has stirred in my heart many times lately about the "plank in our own eye". He has shown me times I didn't realize that I have done the very thing I was so hurt by someone else doing. It is teaching me that conviction isn't about what other people need to fix in their lives. It's about what I need Jesus to help me fix in mine.

Thank you for your words that spurred on the reflections. Great post.

Counter