Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Friday, March 9, 2007

March 19 - Forever Friends

(submitted by Chris Heckaman)

“And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Psalm 23

What’s the rush? So often I get caught thinking about all the things I have to do. I forget. I’ve been made for eternity and so have you.

Of course the things I need to get done are extremely and supremely important. Actually, I’m just kidding myself.

My relationship with God is forever. Therefore, I have all the time in the world and then some, some in the next.

More than wanting me to get this done for Him and that, trying to pack in as much as I can, God wants to be in relationship with me.

If something takes seven years to accomplish and two years off of doing nothing big for God, so be it. He is spending all of eternity with me. I am more important to Him than what I do.

Psalm 46:10 says, “Cease striving and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth.” He is the “I” of which the verse refers. I can’t outdo God. And God will get the job done. We can relax. And enjoy the privilege of knowing Him and His knowing of us.

In John 15 Jesus called the disciples not workers, slaves, or employees, but rather friends. No rush driven by demands. Relax. Enjoy. Hang out. Hear those words, “I have called you friend.” Receive them for yourself.

One of my greatest joys is watching my kids continue to grow and develop. One night last week we were all sitting in our family room just hanging out and talking. The TV wasn’t on. No one was waiting in line for the internet or trying to get on the computer for their email. We were just hanging out and talking. And we were talking more as friends than as parents and kids. I thought to myself, “Wow, this is cool. And this is only going to get better.” Our whole life is ahead of us. It was so deeply rich. You know what? God feels the same way about us. We’re not going anywhere nor He with us. Our journey in Christ will last for all eternity.

Here’s a thought, maybe what we get to know about God now isn’t even to be compared with what we will get to know about Him later. And consider this…Do you think you will know everything there is to know about Him the second you wake up in heaven, or maybe, just maybe, by year 110,098 in heaven you’ll wake up and discover something new, fresh, and absolutely wonderful?

“I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” As broad as is the horizon of our God is the wideness of His grace to want to know and enjoy us forever. Stop hurrying and learn to dwell now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A powerful reminder of Eternity with the One who created us. Wow. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Amen... To learn to embrace the 2 years of doing nothing earth shattering for God. Being satisfied with being in the presence of Jehovah. To learn to embrace our God who calls us friend and longs to 'hang out' with us.

Counter