Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 30 - Psalm 139

(submitted by Cheryl Christman)

My favorite Bible passage has become Psalm 139. I find myself turning to it on a regular basis and never fail to feel comforted and encouraged by its words of comfort!

From verse 1, “O Lord, you have searched me and you know me,” to verse 24, “See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting,” it reassures me of how God watches over me in every situation.

Perhaps the most amazing verse for me is verse 5, “You hem me in – behind and before, you have laid your hand upon me.” Whoa! He goes both before me to prepare my future and then follows behind, keeping me safe from both my past and from those who follow me, looking for a way to attack and pull me back.

There is no God in any other religion who cares for us in such a personal way. As we ponder our future, I am comforted that we cannot leave God’s presence. “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” (Verses 8 – 10) It’s also reassuring to know that no matter where we are physically, He will still be where our loved ones are, protecting and watching over them for us. God has his own unique sense of time and space. He answers prayers before they are even uttered and can be holding and protecting people in different parts of the world simultaneously.

We are about to become grandparents for the first time. It is awesome in the true meaning of the word to read verses 13 – 16 and know that God already is familiar with this child and is watching over her. I know that my prayers for her are not going unheard or unanswered.

Praise be to the God who will not let us be alone, who watches over us and hears our every thought. Thank You for your deep and abiding devotion to us.

No comments:

Counter