Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Friday, March 9, 2007

March 14 - Running Without Legs

(submitted by David Porath)

We are going to start this off with a little exercise. You do not have to participate, but I hope you try it.

Get off your chair and get on the floor. Go ahead, no one is looking. Sit cross-legged, Indian style, whatever you used to call it as a kid. What? Can't do this and see your screen at the same time? If you have a laptop, unplug it and bring it down to your level. If you are on a PC, use the printer or double your screen size. I promise, this will only take a minute.......

Now that you are in the position, put your arms to the side, push your fanny off the ground and lock your elbows. How long can you hold this position? Ok, relax and take a break. Just for a few minutes though......

Ok, long enough. Now go to the edge of the room you are in and get into the same position. This time when you push up, push forward at the same time scooting your body across the floor WITHOUT USING YOUR LEGS. That last part is key to this exercise. Some of you nimble, flexible and strong people may not have a problem doing it at first; however, do it a couple of times. Feel the burning sensation yet?

I see this exercise everyday of my life. No, I do not do it. I would look like Hulk Hogan if I did. This is what Justine does anytime she wants to get from A to B if she is not in her wheelchair. The thing that amazes me is the speed and grace she does it in. She can get from one side of our house to the other pretty quickly.

Justine constantly tells us that she cannot run. We try to see it a different way though. How many people can do what she does with her arms? She can fly around in her wheelchair pretty good too when she wants to. It is like she is running without legs. The rest of her body is making up for what her legs cannot do. She does not realize it yet though. All she sees is what is in front of her; what her young mind comprehends.

My spiritual life is like that a lot. I really know that I am limited in a lot of aspects many of my friends and peers are not so limited. Sometimes I feel like I am limited in what God has in store for me, or better yet, what I think He has in store for me. It is really hard for me to remember that God has given me my own unique gifts He wants to use for me to do His purpose. I think that I get overcome with my own shortcomings that I forget to look at the strengths that have been molded into body, mind and soul. Just like the uniqueness of Justine's physical makeup. Sure she cannot run, but man, can she move. If that is not a living miracle, then I do not know what is.

James 4:7,8,10 "7Submit yourselves, then, to God.... 8Come near to God and He will come near to you.... 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."

Submission is never an easy thing. Not to your parents, you’re friends, your wife, and your kids, not to anyone. Especially God. Submitting is letting go.... of everything. Lose control. I need to submit my shortcomings, my lack of gifts I wish I had and even the gifts I know I have. I have to be near to God in everything. My prayer time, studying, my family, even work. If I do that, He will be closer to me than ever. Can I humble myself enough though? I am reading a book called "The Mind of Christ." In it, the author says that self-interest is "the essence of sin... because self-interest is diametrically opposed to the character of God." Can I give up this life and world of self-interest? Can I humble myself enough so that all I do is because it is God's will for me to do it and not my own? Submit, come and humble. Three steps, one answer.

If my family and I can learn do this we will be running full speed to eternal life. We won't be worried about how fast our legs or wheelchair is going. We know that Jesus is running right beside of us all of the way. He may never heal Justine physically to walk here on earth but I tell you what, He has her running full speed towards His loving arms right now.... even without legs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great devotional, David. A fantastic reminder of the need to give ourselves over entirely to God. Thank you for sharing. Justine and the entire Porath family are a huge blessing and inspiration to the family of Sidney First.

Anonymous said...

"Submission is never an easy thing." Your words, Jesus' words through you, have penetrated the depths of my heart.

Thank you Jesus for the words you shared through David. Bless him and his family. Amen

Counter