Life Together

We realize that our lives are enriched as we draw near to God together. So, please post your comments, prayers, reflections and thoughts after the readings. Use this for your devotions, pray for the author or send to a friend who is disheartened. We'll use the golden rule to edit/remove all posts and comments but please feel free to engage in the Journey On Conversation.

Friday, March 9, 2007

March 23 - Pride

(submitted by Chris Mullenhour)

One of the hardest things for me to recognize in my life is pride. This is probably because it comes in so many different forms. I do not consider myself a prideful person, yet so many of my actions and feelings state otherwise. One of the places where pride creeps up in my life is at work. I really don’t try to, but many times I catch myself thinking I’m better than someone else. Sometimes it’s because I feel I’m more educated, and sometimes it’s because I’m a Christian and someone else is not. How ironic is that? But I think many Christians face the same problem. I am very quick to pass judgment on someone because they are not Christian, and I have to remind myself that is not why I was created. 1st Corinthians 4:5-7 say’s:

Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

In 2nd Kings 19:23-29, it shows how people can lose sight of who is responsible for ones achievements. I have to continually remind myself that I am not responsible for my achievements. God gave me the abilities to accomplish these achievements. I did not do it on my own, yet at times I find myself taking credit for them when it is God I should be giving the credit to.

One area of my life where I have been able to improve is accepting help from others. I was one that would insist I could do a job on my own. If I needed help, that showed weakness. I would not let others pay for my meals or help me financially. I should be the one helping others. I realized I felt this way when I began putting myself on a higher pedestal than the other person. Again, what make me better than them?

Have you ever gotten upset at how someone else is driving? Why do you think that is? I am very guilty of this. I often find myself saying, “Who do they think they are driving that fast?” or “Where did they learn to drive?” That is my pride coming out again. I think that I’m the better driver and have never done ANYTHING to upset another driver. “I’m the perfect driver, why can’t everyone else drive like me!” I’m sure I’m the only one who has ever thought that.

Pride comes in many different forms. It is our responsibility to identify it and learn how to get rid of it. I know I need God’s help in that because again I thought I wasn’t a prideful person, but God has shown me (many ways) that I definitely have some work to do. Proverbs has many verses on pride and I’m pretty sure not one of them is positive. Be mindful of your pride and ask God to guide you out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I stated to read this beautifully written piece, I saw myself in it. Pride and judgement of others are the sins I am most ashamed of and I struggle daily with thinking my way is the best or at least better. Thank you Chris for shining the light on them so I may be a humble servant to those I have sinned against.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
You are such a good man! How very unprideful to be so vulnerable in your sharing with us. You are right on...pride often disguises itself to be reasoned out in many ways. Jesus love, Melissa

Counter